Thursday, November 24, 2011

Comics for Causes: Superior

As cliche as it may sound this particular time of year, my thoughts often turn to how grateful I am for my children and their health. Like most parents who have a "NICU graduate" or who have ever whisked a sick child off to the hospital, I learned early on just how precious every single breath of theirs is. So it was with that in mind that I eagerly picked up Superior, a benefit comic book for Yorkhill Children's Foundation.

Other claims about this comic book were just icing on the cake as far as I was concerned. That it broke the record for the most contributors to a comic book can be disputed unless we exclude anthologies. I won't dwell on that, though, because to convince sixty or so artists from all over the world to work for free and get their work in on time to break the record for the fastest produced comic book is nothing short of amazing.

And that says nothing of the comic itself. While there are a few rough patches in the art, the book looks pretty good for having been put together by so many creators in less than twelve hours. It also is a very sweet, heartwarming story that I would recommend for anyone, especially this time of year, full of heroics to inspire both awe and "awwww."

At a lean $2.99, the book also makes an excellent and affordable gift for all comic book fans on your list. But I would recommend this book because even a modest contribution to help our littlest people can do immeasurable good.

No comments:

Post a Comment